Friday, September 12, 2008

I am not an Ironman

My friend Daniel, formerly of the No Train team, is training for an ironman triathlon in September 2009. Go Daniel! His blog is a little unfair, since he has you watch this 2 minute ad? infomercial? teaser? about ironman triathlons. You get totally sucked in -- much as I do when watching the ABC? Sports special on the Hawaii Ironman every year and I turn to Kathy and say "lets do it." Kathy kindly brings me back down to earth and reminds me that I can't run, I don't swim in the ocean, and they don't let you do one out of the three sports. Oh well...we are thinking about going to Hawaii for Kathy's 50th (which isn't until 2011 so we might go sooner). We'd go in the fall and would love to time it so we end up on whatever island the ironman is on -- and go cheer the people who come in at hours 15, 16 and 17. (You have to complete the ironman in 17 hours)

Why did start that ramble? Oh yeah -- Daniel. At any rate, he said that the difference between a spinning class and a reaction cycling class is whether a facility is licensed to offer "Spinning" classes -- which is trademarked and licensed and probably taught by instructors licensed in "Spinning."

Which brings me to my training...we did our 2 mile walk twice this week, and went to the gym today. Plus I walked a heck of a lot at work Wednesday -- easily 5 miles. Nope, I'm not exaggerating. It's a big building. And I am generally to impatient to wait for the elevators. For some reason it was a busy day in Annapolis, requiring Julie to run all over the building.

Saturday we're aiming for a 26-ish mile ride, and probably a 15-20-ish one Sunday. Looks like the rain won't happen until the afternoon Saturday, which bodes well for a nap!

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Awww. Thanks for pimping me, honey! Here's an idea...

The Dewey Beach Sprint Tri - every year in September - has a relay division. One person swim 1/2 mile, one bikes 7.2 miles, one runs 3.4 miles. Then afterwards you spend the rest of the day recovering on the beach. (Oh yeah, and Dogfish Head Brewey serves free beer after the race!)