Sunday, August 17, 2008

Success on many levels!

Being the Olympics junkie that I am, last night (Saturday night) we watched Dara Torres win a silver medal in the 50m freestyle (swimming) by the same margin that Michael Phelps beat Cavic in the 100m butterfly -- .01 of a second. That's pretty incredible! Add to that, our gal Dara is ANCIENT when it comes to swimming....she's 41 and could have been the mom to the gold medalist Britta Stefan (born in 1983...you do the math). And then we watched Michael Phelps win his 8th gold medal of these games.

So you can see I was inspired to go biking this morning! Off we went doing that loop I mapquested. The good news -- I finally figured out that darn bike computer and now I am logging in miles, not kilometers! Even better, our bike computers are fairly close in the mileage we come up with. No more Julie riding 5 miles to Kathy's 2. :-)

We added a little bit to the route, and did 3 laps, bringing me up to a whopping 8 miles (wooo hoooo). We went home as Kathy was going riding with her boss, who was meeting us at the house. After she and Greg set off, I debated whether I wanted to ride more. Truthfully -- No. Honestly -- I got my fanny back on that bike and did another loop bringing me up to 10.5 miles. I never realized that Greenbelt is a bit on the hilly side. Until that last lap, when I'd cooled down and failed to stretch again before riding. Ugh.

Kathy -- to toot her horn -- went out and did another 30+ miles with her boss. She then came home and ate and bathed. The two of us are now hobbling around the house like a couple of 90 year olds in need of knee replacements. Trust me -- I'll wrestle her for the advil!

2 comments:

Michele said...

The 2 of you hobbling around has to be a sight. I'm totally picturing it just like I pictured Julie riding down the stairs of the basement. Even Eddie laughed when I read that to him. He said you are your mother's daughter. :) Julie,You are such a visual writer! Keep up the great work on your blog I love reading it.

Love ya both!!

Anonymous said...

Being visual is generic in this house!!
Your godmother